We’ll learn the reasons why we prefer Dot Net Core for web application development; its core offerings; the latest version, and its use cases!
.Net is now .Net Core. It is an open-source cross-platform development environment that gels up with visual studio IDE, C# and SQL Server to embark on Web-Mobile-Window-based applications like text editors, language editors, mobile and desktop games, IoT applications, and a lot more. It is still widely used as it unifies MVC and web API Frameworks, multiple environments, development modes, dependency injection, and multiple platforms.
Which programming languages does it support?
.Net Development Environment works in C#, F#, and Visual Basic. Here, C# is a simple, object-oriented and type-safe programming language. F# ease the code writing. Visual Basic comes with a simple syntax for building type-safe, object-oriented applications.
.Net 6 Core Features
Microsoft announced the latest version of .Net in June 2022. Earlier we had .Net Core updates, but the latest version .Net 6.0.6 and .Net Core 3.1.26 features:
These updates normally feature security and non-security improvements. The new .Net Version is applicable for Windows, Linux, macOS, x86, Arm32, x64 and Arm64. It brings improvements in:
- NET Core: 6.0.6
New .Net versions improve the overall performance of the application to make it robust and reliable. ASP.NET comes in two unique programming models ASP.NET MVC and ASP.NET Web API.
- Cross-Platform Support: Irrespective of the programming language (C#, F#, or Visual Basic), your .Net code conceives cross-platform adaptability, soaking up multitudinous operating systems.
- One Consistent API: .Net provides a gamut of base class libraries and application programming interfaces, common to all .Net applications. Each model (ASP.NET MVC and ASP.NET Web API) exposes additional APIs that are specific to the operating systems it uses, or the capabilities it provides. ASP.NET is the cross-platform web framework that provides additional APIs for building web applications that run on Windows or Linux OS.
- Libraries: It has Libraries to extend application functionality. Example – NuGet is a package manager that is built specifically for .Net, which contains 100,000+ packages.
- Active community and open-source – .Net development environment with an open community allows developers to contribute to the .Net platform.
- Tools – VS Marketplaces comes with thousands of editor extensions from Microsoft and others. .Net offers command line tools and plug-ins for many popular editors.
Various .Net Application Models
App models are always built on top of base libraries. It can be:
- Web Model – To build web apps and services for Windows, macOS, Linux, and Docker.
- Mobile Model – A single codebase is used to build native mobile apps for iOS, Android, and more.
- Desktop Model – It is used to create native apps for Windows and macOS or build apps that run anywhere with web technologies.
- Microservices Model – To create deployable microservices that run on Docker containers.
- Cloud Model – To consume existing cloud services, or create and deploy your own.
- Machine Learning Model – To add vision algorithms, predictive models, speech processing, and more to the applications.
- Game Development Model – To develop 2D and 3D games for the most popular desktops, consoles, and phones.
- Internet of Things Model – To make IoT apps with native support for Raspberry Pi and other single-board companies.
Why choose .Net for web application development?
.Net is productive: You can build high-quality web applications with modern language constructs like generics, asynchronous programming, and Language Integrated Query (LINQ) and combine it with extensive class libraries, multi-language support, common APIs, and powerful tooling offered by Visual Studio Clan.
.Net apps can run on any platform: .Net developers can code across familiar environments, and build apps faster within budget. .Net applications can run across iOS, Android, Windows, and Enterprise Server applications running on Windows servers and Linux. High-scale microservices run in the cloud.
Highly Performant: .Net apps are faster than any other popular framework due to JSON serialization, database access and server-side template rendering.
Trustworthy and Secure: .Net releases its updates quickly when it discovers threats.
OpenSource + Large community: .Net Foundation is an independently held non-profit initiative with over 100,000 contributions from developers from over 3,700 companies outside of Microsoft. Members of Technical Steering Group, red Hat, Google, JetBrains, Samsung, and Unity are steering ahead with the .Net platform.
Why is asp.net core suitable for web app development companies?
.Net 6 incorporates the SDK, and runtime across mobile, desktop, cloud apps, and IoT, base libraries. This core version update facilitates web development as getting started with the framework is easy. New language features in C# reduce the amount of code that you need to write. Further, investments in the web stack and minimal APIs make it, even more, easier to quickly write precise and compact microservices. Asp Dot Net 6 is the fastest (to date) computation framework that runs at a minimal cost. Also, a combination of Dot Net 6 and Visual Studio 2022 offers:
- Hot reload
- Intelligent code editing
- New GIT tooling
- Robust diagnostics
- Testing tools
- Better collaboration
Core features independent packaging and installation and is compatible across platforms. It allows reusing code components. With ASP.NET 6 Core, Microsoft enables web application developers to develop high-performance, cross-platform, open-source frameworks with cutting-edge functionality allowing them to build cloud-based web applications. 6 Core update allows running web applications on framework. It enables the development of progressive and productive web applications and services, mobile back ends and IoT apps. It supports multiple platforms as it provides the option to build apps on windows, Linux, and macOS.
Summary of .Net 6 offerings
Asp.Net core is a feature-rich framework to create supercharged API for web applications. It is the main framework for outstanding web application development due to following reasons:
- It is open-source
- It is easy to implement
- .Net supports coding across the platform
- it reuses code components across OS
- It features razor pages
- Dot Net supports multiple languages
- It is easy to update and customize rich enterprise-grade web applications
- It lineates asynchronous programming
- Dot Net manages packages
- It features cross-platform architecture
- Dot Net manages memory automatically.
- It collects garbage
- It is based on an MVC web application and RESTful APIs.
Which type of project is best suitable for Asp.Net Core?
It allows you to develop web applications, mobile backends, IoT Apps (for industrial automation, automotive healthcare, smart homes, smart buildings, wearables), web services (SOAP, XML, HTTP(S)), web apps (HTTP, HTTPS protocol), and hybrid applications.
Ready to get started?
Most of all the features, Razor pages allow the creation of interactive user interfaces with enhanced productivity. Additionally, with ASP.Net flexible web app deployment can be done in two ways:
- Framework-dependent deployment – It is dependent on shared-system components. It enables executing the app that you have built along with 3rd party dependencies. This process saves memory on host systems.
- Another way around, it comes through self-contained deployment where deployment is dependent on shared components. It distinguishes the elements of .Net Core runtime.
Asp.net development companies use the newest Core combines the benefits of building web user interfaces and Web Application Programming Interfaces. It is architected for testability. Additionally, Razor Pages makes coding page focused scenarios easier, high-performance and memory intensive.