Did you lose your bike keys? There is always a solution or a trick to avoid such situations without panicking. We know it isn’t easy, and the answer depends on the model of your bike and the type of keys.
The bike flip key might have a trick for replacement, but that might not be a permanent solution. Depending on your situation, multiple methods exist to get a new key or replace the current one.
What are the different bike locks?
A wide variety of locks in the market decides the level of security you get for the bike. Their mechanism and cycle key cover have unique advantages and disadvantages. Let us look at some of them:
- Chain Locks: The main aim of these locks are to provide sturdiness and resistance to theft using cutters, saws, and more. They are ideal if you keep your vehicle in public and crowded places.
- U-Shackle Locks: The best part is we can easily carry them with you to offer a good level of security. The driver can anchor the bike wheel with a fixed element like a fence or post, increasing the security level.
- Ball-Joint Locks: They contain a series of articulated ball joints that secure the internal cable. It is covered with plastic to protect the parts from dirt and water. People choose them because of their perfect combination of flexibility and robustness.
- Articulated Locks: They have steel bars connected with bolts that help fold and unfold the device. They come in various sizes, making them convenient and anchoring the vehicle to a fixed element.
- Brake Disc Locks: It is installed in the holes of the ventilated brake discs that stop the wheel from turning. The main function is to avoid damage if the bike is accidentally started. This provides a level of security by being small and weightless.
How to replace your bike keys hassle-free?
People often get stuck in such situations and look for every solution. Simple guidance to help you out:
1. Access the cylinder code
Getting a new key depends on the bike’s make, year, and model. Nowadays, replacing the key for the latest bikes is an expensive choice and costs you a fortune. You must start by locating the ignition cylinder to get a cost-effective method.
It has a silver shaft where you insert the keys, and on the side, you can locate a code of three to four digits. Store that number with you and take it to a local locksmith. But it would be better to call it to the location. They will look into the values using the code to accurately cut the key for your bike.
2. Ignition Cylinder
Most bikes have an identification code, but in some cases, you might not be able to find the code as it might be unrecognizable. There is still hope for getting a key replacement. All you need is some extra effort. Connect with the nearby locksmith to make sure you choose the right option.
It has a single wiring harness clipped with two bolts to hold the cylinder correctly. You must remove them and unclip the harness. A locksmith will be able to make the key from the cylinder as they will get the right impressing of the lock. It is a simple process to replace the keys.
3. Replace Ignition Cylinder
In case you cannot find the code and cannot locate a locksmith near you. The other choice is to replace the ignition cylinder. This means you will get a new ignition cylinder and compatible keys. This process is less complicated but too much time-consuming.
It is important to have the bike’s year, model, and make to get the right part. Ensure you have every information to get the right ignition cylinder for your bike. Add a leather key ring holder as soon as you get the new keys to ensure it stored safely.
How to prevent the loss of your bike keys?
- Have a specific place to keep the keys. This might be a shelf, hook, or container that is suitable. Make a habit of keeping the keys there and train others to do the same.
- Keep everything organized as more clutter means more chances of losing the keys. Even if you misplace the keys, they will be easier to find if everything is organized.
- Get key shells that are unique and easier to locate. This is the best method as you can easily identify them from a distance and never lose them.
- There are Bluetooth trackers available in the market that can be attached to the key covers. It will give you the exact location of the keys through your smart devices.
- Have multiple spare keys as it might be a better option than getting a replacement in time of emergency. Getting a duplicate key is easier than arranging a whole new key and being programmed for your bike.
- Store important information like the VIN of the vehicle as it is required to make the new key.
How to select the right bike lock to keep it secure?
There are always a few things to consider in the lock system to ensure the bike’s security. The important factors are:
- Security: A good lock will keep your vehicle secure and less opportunistic to the thief.
- Practicality: Use innovative smart locks that are not intimidating but are highly secure. They are lightweight, small, and easier to transport.
- Affordable: Choose the ones made from durable materials that fit your budget. They must have great resistance to cutting, pulling, and sawing forces.
- Locking system: Lock your wheel and bike frame too to make it difficult to move
The Final Tip!
Never abandon your bike and keys. Get some affordable and durable bike key covers to keep them safe. The above tips and tricks will come in handy when you are stuck in inconvenient situations. It will help to deal with the problem with some effective solution.