There is always space for some innovations in every industry. Everyone is looking for smart devices that make their daily tasks effortless. The evolutions in automobiles have brought in smart key for car to increase security.
What is a smart key for car?
This is a key that has digital features that will help in locking and unlocking the car system. The new technologies have signals and convert them into digital information. They are also keyless entry systems to ignite the engine without plugging the key inside the car.
The main catch is that your vehicle automatically locks, unlocks, and starts the car. They are becoming more common and demanding due to their convenience and security. The three major elements are:
- Lock: The core segment of the ley is the physical element that can be replaced. But there is no scope for changing the lock. The main goal of a smart key system is to bring a cost-effective solution with the locking system.
- Learning Tool: This is used to inform the lock that you are replacing keys. It is a type of key that is inserted in a different hole in the safety.
- Key: The changing system of a smart key. It has a unique pattern that is difficult to copy and increases security.
This technology connects the start and smart buttons through RFID (Radio Frequency Identification). The key will send signals to the car’s sensors that get the encrypted code transmitted from the key.
What are the different types of locks in smart keys?
Understanding various types of locks is important to making the right choice. The common difference lies in their design, purpose, and pattern. Let us look at some of them:
- Deadbolt: No need to change the deadbolts when you change your keys. All you require is to get different keys and the same deadbolt to ensure smooth functioning.
- Handleset: This is a perfect choice for people worried about the smart lock being linked with the door. But this one works perfectly without affecting the door design, and you only need to use it carefully.
- Knob: This is also an irreplaceable part of the car key. When you get a new key, get a similar doorknob with it to make sure you can lock or unlock the car seamlessly.
- Lever: It is an appealing choice due to its unique design. Smart keys have brought utilization and innovation together with this lock.
What are the pros and cons of using a smart car key?
- It is difficult to break into the car as the key signals are sensed through your car with an encrypted code. Even if someone breaks into the vehicle, they won’t be able to start and gets an encrypted code.
- The ease of usage helps to lock and unlock your vehicle from a safe distance. You can remotely pre-start or honk the engine, depending on the model of your car.
- The encryption method keeps your vehicle secure. The manufacturers also allow you to turn off the ignition if an invalid code is added. These settings make the process more difficult to break.
- It is known to be a time-saving solution to start, lock, and unlock the vehicle with just a button. Latest technologies are still trying to secure the keys with some chain key case that ensures you do not misplace them.
- The keyless system saves from the trouble of coming back to the vehicle to check if it’s locked. It gives the freedom to lock and unlock from a certain distance. While in some cases, the car is kept unlocked while the keys are inside to ensure you do not get locked out.
- Replacing the smart keys can be costly. You know that electronic components wear out if not maintained properly. This means you need to ensure that it works for a longer interval.
- In case the battery of the keys dies, it becomes difficult to unlock the car. It is important to store extra batteries and a durable key case to ensure you do not get wear off the batteries when not in use.
What are the problems you might face with the smart car keys?
1. Damaged lock
This is one of the possibilities of the car key not working. There might be damage to the lock assembly or the lock cylinder. Make a bit of trial and error to check if any response comes. Sometimes locks are blocked due to the dirt. Some common signs of this issue are:
- The key path is blocked
- One lock is opened but does not work for other
- The Key is responding, but the lock is not
2. Key Issues
The simple reason your keys are not working properly is that they are damaged. The smart keys require leather or flip key cover to avoid the normal damages due to sunlight or cold weather. With a safety layer of a body, it protects the internal coating of the key.
Multiple elements wear and tear over time and early if not given proper attention. Lack of maintenance and physical damage increases the chances of affecting the functions of the smart key.
Some signs that can be noticed are:
- Not locking or starting the ignition of the car
- Locks get opened with other means
- The spare key is working perfectly
3. Worn-out batteries
The car keys are not responding to your actions due to the batteries. This is one of the common issues and has the easiest solution. If you notice that the commands sent from the key do not receive the proper response, the batteries are dead.
However, this is not the only reason your leather key is not working properly. So, it would help you replace the batteries to find the correct issue. Some signs you must check are:
- Cars take action only when the keys are too close
- Buttons should be pressed too many times for a single action
- Spare keys are working perfectly
The Final Thought!
We understand that the smart key for car has now become an integral part of the automobile industry, and it can be a costly hassle if not maintained properly. Hopefully, you have found the right solution, and keep your keys protected with covers to avoid any potential damages.