Summary: In this technical write-up, we will discuss ways to extract the OST file data and move them into PST. It is a tough task to convert OST to PST, and users need help converting large OST files. On the other hand, professional tools eliminate such restrictions and convert multiple OSTs at the same time.
Many organizations are working on Microsoft Outlook to do business follow-ups and conversions through emails. Most users configure their Outlook account with Exchange which allows them to access their data online as well as in offline mode. OST files enable users to access Outlook data even without the internet.
However, there are situations where the user needs to access the OST data in another system. In that case, they need to convert OST to PST as an Outlook data file (PST) generated on one system can be moved to any other system, whereas an OST file cannot. It is one of the reasons behind the OST file conversion, and to know more about them, this blog checks out. Apart from these reasons, we will also foray into exploring some methods to make the conversion successful.
What are OST files and the reasons for the OST to PST Conversion?
- Sudden crash of the Microsoft Exchange Server also creates a problem in synchronizing data with Outlook. As the OST file gets formed while creating the Outlook account in synch with the Exchange server when the Exchange Server goes down, the new changes will not save into the OST file.
- OST files can be opened into a system where these files are formed. If the user needs to access OST file data in a different system, then the only solution is to convert them into PST files.
- At the time of downtime in the Exchange, users cannot access their data and need to export the OST file into PST to regain access to the mailbox item.
- Sometimes the OST file hits with corruption, making it impossible to access its data. So to overcome such a situation, you will need to convert OST to PST file format.
- After converting the OST files to the PST, users can recover the Exchange mailboxes even after the accidental deletion.
Now we will cover some solutions to convert OST files into Outlook PST, which will be accessible in all Outlook versions.
Manual way to convert OST file into Outlook 2013, 2016 PST file
There are some methods which help you to achieve the purpose to convert OST to PST files. In this section, we will elaborate few of them.
Conversion Approach# 1: Outlook Import/Export Method
- The first and foremost step is to open a login in Outlook, where the OST files are created.
- Then, navigate to the Outlook File tab and select the Open/Export option.
- Now click the Import/Export to continue.
- From the Import/Export wizard, choose the Export to a file option. Click next to continue.
- Choose the required folder you want to include in the resultant file. After that, click on Next to continue.
- Using the browse button can select the location where you want to save the new PST file. After choosing it, press the Next button.
- Now click the Finish button to start the OST to PST conversion process.
After creating the PST file, the next process is to import the new PST into Outlook. This process will only be successful if you have Outlook installed on the system. Also, it won’t be able to make the conversion of a big OST file. Therefore look at the second manual method to convert the OST file.
Conversion Approach# 2: Outlook Archive Method
Outlook has an Archive feature which allows moving the content inside the OST mailbox, excluding the contacts into PST. Follow the given below steps thoroughly:
- Open Outlook and the OST file where you want to transfer the data.
- Now select File>> Info>> Cleanup tool.
- Choose the Archive from all the available options.
- Need to select Archive this subfolder and folder from the appeared Archive dialog box. Move ahead after selecting the folder which you want to move.
- After customizing the export process, choose the location to save the resultant file, and then hit the OK button to end the process.
In this way, you can perform the task to convert OST to PST, but there are several limitations associated with this method. You can also look at the better alternative, such as using a third-party OST to PST converter.
Drag & Drop Method to Convert OST into PST
The last manual method is drag and drop, in which users need to open Outlook and create the new PST. Now drag and drop the required OST data into them. But this approach cannot guarantee maintaining the structure of the exported data in the PST file. Also, it can cause corruption in the user data.
To move with the problem linked with all manual conversion methods, try some better alternatives. Third-party OST to PST converter will be a good option for the user who doesn’t have enough knowledge to convert OST to PST as well to complete the process in minimum time.
Reliable Solution for Converting OST files into PST file
Converting the user OST file using manual methods involves many risks, creating the need for third-party software. Shoviv OST to PST Converter is a highly advanced solution that converts multiple OST files into PST. The software can also convert large-size OST files, which the manual solution creates problems while converting them.
This software has an excellent user interface wherein finding its function is easier. Users can also check out the added data under the tool’s preview pane for verification purposes. Due to its filter option, it is easier to include the required item and exclude unwanted data from the conversion. Along with it, it even allows you to set the size of the resultant PST file. Users can choose its incremental option to secure the process from unwanted interruption.
Now, Review the Working of the Software to Convert OST to PST File:
- Launch the Shoviv OST to PST converter, and click on the Add OST from the tool’s ribbon bar.
- Users can add their OST files using the add button and even the help of the search button. Its advanced scan option enables to scan the corrupted OST and helps to recover the hardly deleted items. Click On the button to continue.
- Please select the required data from the software folder view, make a right click on them, and select the save all files in Outlook PST option.
- Now, make click on Check/Uncheck sub-folder option and hit the Next button.
- From this Export item in the PST wizard, users can include the item of a specific time period using the software Process item data range filter option. After adding the required items, click on the Next button.
- Users can also export the OST items into the existing PST and create a new one. Also, setting a password for a PST and splitting the new file is easier. Use browse to choose the location to save the PST file. Click Next to move to further steps.
- After implementing all the procedures to convert OST to PST, the software will start converting the files and show you the live logs. Once the process gets over, click the Finish button.
Converting the OST files into the PST file format is daunting when these files are corrupted. However, there are manual methods to convert OST to PST when they are in a healthier state. Conversely, professional software can handle the conversion of healthy and severely corrupted OST files. Users can also explore the software’s free demo version to get surety about its working capabilities.