Even though their history is less extensive, ecards still contain some noteworthy highlights. Therefore, disregard the background information if you’re still unsure of what an ecard is; we’re here to assist.
What is an Ecard?
We’ll start by discussing what an ecard is in its current form.
An Ecard is a greeting card just like any other, except that it’s electronic. There are no restrictions on how you can send an Ecard; it is both generated and sent online, typically by email. If you like, you can post your masterpiece via any internet messaging service, SMS text, or even social media.
The pull factor of an ecard for most, if not all, is the control over the personalization. Everything can be altered, including the look, the message, and the use of unique graphics.
As paper cards are made to satisfy the masses, you won’t be able to avoid generic designs and messaging. Ecards are just a cheap method to send your customised greeting message to anybody you choose.
What is a premium Ecard?
Similar to paper cards, there are luxury versions of ecards as well.
Customisation is available with premium ecards, which include all the basic ecard’s personalization capabilities. We have a team of skilled designers who bring animations to life, but you would decide how will that appear.
In conclusion, user-supplied material forms the basis of premium ecards, from which we produce an engaging and imaginative card with an emphasis on animation. In the end, you’ll get an Ecard that is absolutely unique.
What is a group Ecard?
A Group Ecard is an online greeting card that multiple people can sign and write their messages. It is an easy and fun way to collectively appreciate and celebrate special moments and make them more memorable.
History of Ecards
Ecards were not always as technologically sophisticated as they are now. After all, any idea has to have a beginning.
Who invented Ecards?
Ecards were created in 1994 by Judith Donath, the head of the Social Media Group at the Massachusetts-based MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) Media Lab.
What did Ecards look like in the beginning?
Back in the 1990s, ecards were referred to as “electronic postcards” and were rather basic. There was no such thing as adding a variety of your own photographs, animation effects, unique ecard game attachments, or customised video material as you see now. However, you could customise them (to a certain extent) with text and imagery.
How popular were Ecards back then?
Ecards quickly gained popularity, particularly in the US. Just a year after a few thousand people decided to send ecards instead of traditional ones, over 1.7 million had been despatched.
Though they continued to be the leading and most dependable producer of ecards for years to come, MIT’s ecard version enjoyed the majority of the popularity at this time.
This developed organically as more and more companies started to provide distinctive versions that were drawn from the ecard prototype.
What were the key development stages of an Ecard?
As you are aware, technical developments can happen swiftly, and ecards had a rapid transformation. Here is a general timeline showing how they came to be what they are today:
- 1994 – the first ecard was developed, which included space for one image and minimal text that could be personalized by changing the greeting message. The user was to select a message to suit the occasion from a list of choices.
- The late 1990s – as other companies began to create their own versions of ecards, flash animation that was accompanied by music was introduced as an option.
- Early 2000’s – Video ecards were introduced during this time. This included being able to personalize text that was then accompanied by personal video messages. As mobile-friendly ecards weren’t yet available, this usually was done by using a webcam to record a video.
- 2003 – with multimedia messaging services now available at this time, mobile-friendly ecards were introduced. Ecards were able to be sent through a mobile phone, as opposed to solely on a computer.
- 2010’s – online ecards allowed for more customization. This looked like users being able to select different backgrounds, animations, emoticons, and use text layering. As well as more customization options, users were also able to select a video of their choice to use.
- 2021 – along with access to optimized versions of everything listed above, users can now opt for interactive Ecard games that they can send out to recipients. The latest generation of ecards is advanced, offering the best customization and personalization options that have ever existed. Premium options of ecards are now also available, and users can now send out their ecards using all online messaging systems without limitation.
What does the future hold for eCards?
We can’t foresee the future, of course, but we can give you a prediction.
Even while ecards are quite well-liked, we think that they’ll soon replace paper cards totally and become the new standard.
People are beginning to adjust as more and more legislation is being enacted to assist battle the environmental catastrophe. Investing in reusable goods, making only eco-friendly purchases, and avoiding single-use plastic wherever you can are all current trends.
Due to the undeniable negative effects that the paper industry continues to have on the environment, we think that ecards will eventually be viewed as the only morally and sustainably sound means to send out special messages.
We might even see virtual reality-based ecards in the near future given how quickly virtual reality is evolving!