There might be several cases where you might have to save Outlook 365 email as EML file. As we all know keeping cloud security is something that one should take seriously these days. Since most of our data are in the cloud servers these days it is important always to have an offline copy of our data for security purposes. In this article, we are going to talk about how you can do the same using different methods that are easy to use.
Manual Method to Perform Outlook 365 export as EML
First, let us look at some of the manual ways that we can use for exporting Outlook 365 email as EML files. But one of the biggest problem with using the manual method is that you can export only one email at a time. This can become a deal-breaker for many users that wants to export data in bulk. Here are the steps you have to follow for using the manual method.
Steps for Manual Method
- Using your Office 365 credentials login to your account and click on all apps select and open Outlook 365.
- Now click on compose a new email and select the email you want to save as an EML file.
- Now simply drag and drop the email into the newly composed email that we have just created.
- Now click the downwards arrow on the attachment email and from the drop down menu select the download option.
- Select a destination for saving the EML file and the email will be downloaded onto your system.
As you can see you can save Outlook 365 email as EML files one by one using this method. This can be used by users for wants to just export a few emails as EML files. But say the user wants to export 100 emails. Then the user has to do this method manually 100 times to export each email. This can be a very tedious task that is going to consume a lot of time. Hence if you want to perform bulk data migration then we recommend using the method given below.
Automated Tool to Save Outlook 365 Email as EML file
The manual method can work for you if you only have a limited set of emails that you want to export to EML file from Outlook 365. Office 365 Export Tool can help you easily export Outlook 365 emails to EML files with a single click if you have bulk emails that you want to export. This enables a lot of possibilities for the user and saves a lot of his/her time. Let us see how we can use the tool using the steps given below.
Steps for Professional Tool
- Open the tool on your systems after downloading it and on the welcome screen press the login button.
- In the next screen log in either using your admin account or your user account. Note that if you are using the admin account make sure you check on the “is admin” checkbox.
- In the next screen select the user email id from which you want to save Outlook 365 email as EML and click on the next button.
- Select the email format as EML and select the items you want to download such as emails, calendars, contacts, etc.
- You can also apply a date filter if required to filter out and download data only from a specified time period.
- Select a destination path and location to download Outlook 365 email as EML file.
EML is a format that is supported by most email client software. Hence by saving the emails as EML files rather than downloading the whole mailbox, the user can share emails one by one with other users easily. Having a copy of the user’s email in EML format also enables the users to easily access their data even when they are offline without any special software.
In this article, we have seen how to save Outlook 365 email as EML files locally on your system. Since most of our data is present on the cloud these days it is important for us to have a local copy of the same for data security reasons. Using a highly compatible format such as EML also allows us to easily share emails with other users. If you are a user who wants to export emails in bulk then we recommend using the above-mentioned tool over the manual method as the manual method can be time-consuming.